Friday, September 23, 2005

Things I love to eat...

Lists of restaurant recommendations are always fun. Personally, I usually read them only to find my favorites--somehow it validates me--perhaps a shrink ISN'T such a bad idea. Anyhow, I ran across a list a year or so ago in San Francisco Magazine of the "Top 50 Things To Eat in San Francisco," or something along those lines. This format intrigued me, because as I describe restaurants to people, I usually talk about one or two things that they HAVE TO TRY. So, here's an attempt to capture some of the things I love in the City and elsewhere. I plan to keep coming back and updating...is that cheating?

  • Chow and Park Chow--I just love these places. Casual, cheap, relaxing. And yeah, I'm in a rut. I always have either the Hobbes pepperoni pizza or the spaghetti and meatballs. The spicy Thai chicken salad and grilled flattened chicken are also quite yummy.
  • Eric's in Noe Valley--We do takeout from this yummy Chinese restaurant on a regular basis, and the General's chicken, Mongolian beef, and Shanghai chicken are all I eat. I'm obsessed.
  • Sandwich Gourmet--The husband and wife that run this tiny sandwich shop up the hill from the Omni Hotel on California St. make a BLT the way that I like it. It's the only BLT that give's my mom a run for her money.
  • Soup Freaks--I'm not a big lunch eater, but I have found a recent craving for the Freakin' Cheese Burger sandwich at the Soup Freaks on Pine St. in the Financial District. This organic "cheese burger" is freshly thick-sliced beef au jus topped with slices of brie cheese. I usually pair this with a cup of lentil soup. Not nearly the heavy lunch it sounds like.
  • The Bar on Castro--Not quite food, but the frozen cosmos are quite addictive.
  • Also on the drink front, I'm a huge fan of mojitos. Yes, its not novel any longer, but I love them, and I search for good ones. Lime and Home in the Castro do an excellent job on most nights. But to date, the best in the area is La Bodeguita del Medio in Palo Alto (many thanks to my friend Mahesh for THAT addiction).

  • El Torreador in West Portal--Gotta have the chalupitas (little boats).
  • Another benchmark of comfort food for me is a good hamburger. I don't need fancy, I just need flavor. My favorites? Mo's Grill is my favorite so far. But I am never disappointed by the burgers at 21st Amendment, the new De Young museum cafe (honestly, this may become my favorite!), and Sliders. But I must add that if you want to travel, you really should go to Two Bell's Tavern in Seattle for the blue burger (with an order of cheese bread while you wait, right Jeff?).

  • Fuzzio--My two can't-miss dishes are the firecracker pork fusilli and the crispy calamari linguine.
  • Left at Albuquerque--Chain-smain. I love the ribs here. I'm not sure I've ever had better. So sue me.

No comments: