Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Holiday cheer...fulfilled...


Not even December yet and already so much holiday cheer. I added to this today by slipping a new Christmas CD in to my car changer. First, the back story.

Like most folks, I respond with Pavlovian glee when I hear the holiday regulars--Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, Frank Sinatra, Burl Ives, Johnny Mathis, etc. And my love of the Charlie Brown Christmas Special growing up has made that CD a staple in my adult holiday festivities. Oh, and of course, all the classic 80's and 90's stars-turned-crooners are near and dear to my heart. (Who doesn't like hearing Bono in Do They Know Its Christmas.)

But my brother and I didn't own any of that music when we were kids. For us, Christmas music will always have its roots in the two records that we played nonstop each December (and fought over nightly, I might add). Our classics? A Merry Mancini Christmas by the Henry Mancini Orchestra and Chorus and That Holiday Feeling! by Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme.

No snickering please.

I found the Mancini album released on CD several years ago...and that made me very happy. But Steve and Eydie eluded me. Well, the wait is over. This 1964 "classic" is available from Amazon, and it arrived yesterday.

So this morning, I sung my way into work. This may be a sign of a need for therapy of some type, but I enthusiastically recommend Steve and Eydie. There is no way it won't make you smile...the way that a classic Sinatra tune does picks you up. Its HIP, baby.

No comments: