Thursday, November 10, 2005

Odd assignments...

The primary reason that I have taken the Photography Portfolio class at Ft. Mason for so many years is the people--the instructor, my classmates, my friends. We challenge each other. We inspire each other.

Every week, we bring in works in progress, and in return, we exchange healthy critiques of each others' work. Our instructor, Richard, is terrific at offering appropriate levels of praise and encouragement, while often picking the quirkiest bits of our work and saying "explore more of that direction...try it out and see where it takes you".

Lately, we've been selecting single themes to take away as "homework". I thought it would be fun to share the results of these first two assignments. First, simply enough: chairs. Here is what I saw during that week.



Next assignment: "take something that evokes surrealism". Here are my interpretations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My vote goes for the first chair picture. I'll call it "Shadow Mirrors."

John thanks for sharing.

BullBunky said...

Thanks, Matt and Matt! You chose my favorites, so how can I argue. The top chair picture is a classic style that's hard to argue with. The other two chair pictures are a bit more abstract, which makes them fun :) As for the surrealism pictures...they were an intentional exercise in expressing figurative concepts as reality. Hence the watering can yeilding flowers.

Anyhow...thanks for commenting!