Friday, December 23, 2005

If I had one wish...

This is the last of my Burbank airport blogs (promise).

To paraphrase Steve Martin in the classic Saturday Night Live Christmas sketch: "If I had just one wish this Christmas, it would be for all the children of the world to sing in peace and harmony." Not in Burbank.

This note goes out to the woman in the Burbank airport bookstore, who wedged herself and her child in between me and the magazine rack I was perusing: "I just need to check a price." So, the woman and her child look for a price on a miniature airplane, while I stand patiently. Well, soon they discover that there are LOTS of planes, and I discover that these two don't make decisions easily. I stand literally less than a foot from them, staring right through them at the magazines I can't see, while the mom describes each of the planes ("This is Air Force One...it has beds and a dining room...")

I can be stubborn! I stood there for 3-4 LONG minutes I'm sure. No apologies. No "just one more minute". No "we need to choose so this nice man can stop standing here staring at us". Nope. Nothing.

So, my gift to the world...or at least the customers in the Greater Burbank Area: my wish for this woman is that she learn to teach her child about peace and harmony in 2006. Maybe she can break the cycle of people that think there is nobody else in the world.

2 comments:

JamesF said...

Wasted wish my friend. If anything, people are less polite and understanding now than ever.

And now for something completely different...
I'm Mister Green Christmas
I'm Mister Sun
I'm Mister Heat Blister
I'm Mister Hundred and One
They call me Heat Miser,
What ever I touch
Starts to melt in my clutch
I'm too much!
...

Anonymous said...

What happened to your policy of positive blogging? I use your site as a retreat from frustration.

Signed,
"Disappointed" employee