Sunday, March 18, 2007

Where in the world is Jeffrey...

Once in a blue moon, Jeff gets to travel for work rather than me. And unlike me and my trips to domestic cities, Jeff gets sent to some truly exotic places. So, for the past week, Jeff has been in China, working in his company's Beijing office. He has taken some truly amazing photos...I am SOOOOOO jealous! He has really captured the essence of the crowded markets and the immense squares. So, with the caveat that I am bending my rule and posting pictures that I did not take, I chose the shot at the left just to tease you all. I'll let Jeff share all of his great shots and the associated stories when he returns.

Also, I really got a kick out of the photo below (which he also took). We had read a news article just before Jeff's trip that the Chinese government wanted to close the Starbucks in the shopping area at the Forbidden City. So, this was Jeff's inside joke to me that capitalism was still alive and well in small doses in the Forbidden City :)

3 comments:

GingerF said...

Bullbunky: ...I chose the shot at the right...

Where to start...

BullBunky said...

Ooops. I meant left. I'm not wearing my shoes with 'right' and 'left' written on them :)

Buddy Tignor said...

I really like the Starbuck's shot...

there was a great NPR story on the other day about the some public Chinese backlash to the presence of food franchises in their famous landmarks with historical / and or religious significance.

Personally, Starbuck's is a lot less repulsive than Taco Hell or KFC...but that is just me :-)

Capitalism is going to stretch the Chinese culture for all it's worth...in America it is in our blood and the fabric of our very young nation...but China has 1000 of years without it being a major force in economic development...I bet Jeff is getting an eyeful over there.