Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Out of touch, or just stupid...

I'm used to the annual blow to my ego called the Oscars. Each year, I eagerly review the nominations with fingers crossed...hoping to find a couple of films to root for amongst the list of movies I have never even heard of.

Well, I am sad to say that this year I have seen NONE of the films in the big categories. In fact, you have to drop all the way to "sound mixing", "sound editing", and "visual effects" to see the only nominated films that I have seen: Transformers and The Bourne Ultimatum.

That's it. Two films.

Oscar is looking down from his lofty golden pedestal at me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a light year for movie going for me as well. Just waiting for the trickle of movie screeners that float around LA this time. I am very happy that Marion Cotillard got a nomination. La Vie En Rose is on dvd and I think you and Jeff might enjoy it.

JamesF said...

I haven't seen any of the big nominees either. And if you drop down the list I've seen the two you mentioned (Bourne and Transformers) and Ratatouille and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End as well.

However, having said that, I plan on watching a bunch on the list. Of the ones listed I haven't seen that I plan on seeing Netflix at some point are 3:10 to Yuma, Gone Baby Gone, Golden Compass, Juno and No Country For Old Men through. Although since Juno and No Country are still in theaters it'll be a long time before I get to watch those. Gone Baby Gone and Golden Compass aren't out on DVD yet, and the wait list for 3:10 is huge apparently. So I won't see any of those before the actual awards.