Saturday, October 15, 2005

And when October goes...

I am a self-identified fall-aholic. October has a unique sense about it--even in San Francisco. I can't explain just what I love about this month. But I love the smell of the air.

We had our first rain of the season last night, but the blue skies returned for a beautiful autumn Saturday. And believe it or not, although many of our plants have finished blooming for the year, we do have some lovely color.


One question though. So, I was sitting in the garden this morning. Water droplets everywhere. The succulent garden glistened. Squirrels screamed at each other high in the neighbor's pine tree, fighting each other for the peanuts that our neighbor set out for them (to be burried in EVERY ONE of our potted plants...give me a break).

Anyway...my question. So, I dug into the mulch in the flower bed next to me and discovered a tiny ant colony. These little guys scattered everywhere--seemingly in no order at all. But I wondered. Do ants have a plan? When their colony is disrupted, do they all have a job and run to it? Maybe they just look random from above, but each one is headed somewhere. I mean, running randomly around doesn't sound like something simple, programmed brains would do. Which means that there is order there. Something to contemplate over a latte in the garden tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

That dahlia is mighty pretty... Of course, I am a little biased.