Sunday, October 30, 2005

Eyeballs in gelatin...

As I turn 38, I jotted a few quick back-of-the-envelope calculations to reveal that I've flown around 500,000 miles in my lifetime. Using some average flight times, I estimate that I have spent the equivalent of over 45 days on a plane. And yet, I am certainly a homebody.

As an example, I certainly do not feel adventurous or worldly when it comes to food. Don't get me wrong...I love world flavors...just refined in a comfortable way.

Sure. I fondly remember eating scrapple growing up, but I draw the line at eyeballs.

Ripped from the headlines of Conde Nast Traveler: Chicago's very own Tito's Tacos. Apparently, for just $1.25 you can munch on the house specialty, the taco de ojo (eyeball taco). The eyeballs are "jawbreaker sized" and covered in their natural "gelatinous white tissue". Don't forget the garnish, which consists of "grilled onions, green chilies, and stringy shreds of brain." Steamed cow's brain, FYI.

Let's face it. I'm squeamish. It's a good thing I became an engineer and not a doctor. At least not an eye doctor. :)

Happy Halloween!


No comments: