Monday, October 31, 2005

A matter of perspective...

Two unrelated Halloween items to wrap up my random brain activity for the day.

First. To remind me that age is relative, my folks sent me a beautiful fossilized scallop shell for my birthday. It is around 3 million years old, and it is spectacular in its detail. My father uncovered it near Petersburg, VA. It is one of the most amazing specimen that I have held. [Scale isn't clear on this photo. The shell measures 5-6" in each direction.]

Unrelated item #2--but VERY Halloween-ish: there is some crazy stuff in our basement. The previous owners of our house left behind numerous odds-and-ends in a tucked-away room of the basement that we don't use. Out of strange curiosity, I have begun to document these items before we throw them away. I can tell you this--if someone uncovers the contents of THAT room 3 million years from today, they will be more than a bit puzzled about our 21st century habits.


Finally, my friends and family are the best. In addition to a fossil, I got e-cards that were spooky (boo), a mini-cake with candles, voice messages from far away, and a song over the phone that made me smile. Thank you :)

2 comments:

Curt Sawyer said...

You also received official birthday greetings in two of your alter-ego capacities: Captain John Coe of the USS Appalacia and King Cherik "Bull" Bunky of the Kingdom of the Bloodstone Lands.

;-)

BullBunky said...

I thought including that might take some (lots) of explaining :) But yes, I did receive two greetings on official Starfleet and Bloodstone stationery.