Saturday, October 22, 2005

I'm not ignoring you...really...



Honestly, the world moves too fast for its own good.

According to Time magazine, the Amish are in the midst of a debate on whether or not to permit the usage of cell phones by their community--"someone found a loophole in the phone rule, discovering it was very specific about not allowing wires from the outside world into their houses."

Well, I would like to help their discussion along. I want to give them my cell phone for a month. Then they will drop the whole crazy idea. ENJOY THE QUIET WHILE YOU CAN.

I think that I'm ultra-sensitive to this topic this week, because we happen to be scant days away from voting on--get this--17 ballot measures. Not only that, but have all the fun hot-button topics up for grabs this time: abortion, handgun bans, and military recruiting in schools are all covered. (The assembly must not have gotten their "Protect Marriage from the Huns...I mean Heathens...I mean Gays" amendment ready in time. I think while they are working on defining marriage, the ultra-right is thinking of banning marriage between ugly people too.)

Anyhow...I digress. What I meant to speak to is the problem that Election Day has brought into the spotlight. And that is that I cannot pick up a phone any more. Our home phone is the domain of the telemarketers (STILL), the politicians, and the pollsters. My office phone is the domain of all the vendors that want to work with my company. And my cell phone...well...that is still for friends and family...except that the voice quality is so bad that my friends stop calling me. My final defense against life's marauders is the front door...and the election has kindly sent throngs to my door to speak to me personally.

Sigh. So, now people Instant Message me to get my attention. And it works. "Hey. That's my calling you on your office phone. Its safe to pick it up!"

So, the Amish can have my phones and my doorbell and don't GET ME STARTED ABOUT MY EMAIL. So many ways to reach me, but everyone thinks that I'm ignoring them. I'm really not. I just can't sift through it all.

No comments: