Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Ray of sunshine...

I would never survive in politics, because deep down I'm an idealist. I trust people. I want to like everybody. And I see the world in black and white...good and evil. So, I would just be depressed in politics, where a sliver of hope is spun into glorious victory.

Take the email I received this morning from the Human Rights Campaign, touting the headline "Election 2006 - We did it!", citing Democrat victories and the rejection of an anti-gay marriage amendment in Arizona. Well, for kicks, I checked out a "family values" website, which was crowing with the headline "Marriage Amendments Seven for Eight on Election Day 2006: Majority of States Now Define Marriage as One Man, One Woman". Further, the good people of Colorado decided to vote FOR an amendment to ban gay marriage AND defeated a law to allow for domestic partnerships.

So, I'm having a hard time being a "glass is half full" guy, even though I do see that the world is becoming more tolerant. In politics, you really do have to treasure those two steps forward, in spite of the steps backwards.

I will close with a request to the crusaders for the sanctity of marriage. Please get your own house in order before lashing out at others. I found it ironic that on the same news pages noting the new marriage amendments were the early reports of Britney Spears' divorce--her second after her first 55-hour marriage. It was only the first divorce for Britney's husband...who met Britney while his girlfriend at the time was pregnant with his child.

I'm not anti-marriage. I just think its not as exclusive as we might be told. Marriage is what you make of the relationship, not how its codified in the Constitution.

Really...I'm off my soapbox...again.

4 comments:

Curt Sawyer said...

I think all the people throwing such a fit and fighting against gay marriage are all closet homosexuals - just like Ted Haggard.

"Me Thinks Thou Doth Protest Too Much"

I think it would be a great thing if all the gay people just packed up and left the states passing these laws and moved to California, Vermont, New Mexico, and other gay-friendly states. Can you imagine of 10% of Virginia just packed up and left? Or 10% of Colorado? Or if people started refusing to be re-located to company offices located in these places?

Hum....

Curt Sawyer said...

From a tax-revenue standpoint, would it actually hurt those states? I would think the answer would be yes.

Or is it better to say and fight?

I'm not gay, so I don't know...

BullBunky said...

Or we just all move to Arizona. LOL

Anonymous said...

I sincerely believe that in ten years people will view gay marriage in the same light that we now view the civil rights debates of the 1960s. In 1965 - it was amazing that the Civil Rights Act passed with so many politicans opposing it. Today, you could never get elected if you did not support civil rights. Put a different way, it is impossible for me to imagine that average Americans in large numbers ever even questioned the notion that all citizens, regardless of race or gender, are completely equal under the law. I believe that gay marriage / domestic partnership is is an extension of basic civil rights. I look forward to a day in the near future when no one could get elected if they oppossed anyone's right to marry.