Friday, January 26, 2007

Sweeping bay views plus maximum security...

One of the stranger sights that might catch your glance as you drive through serene Marin County is the historic San Quentin State Prison, a maximum security facility complete with gas chamber. It also happens to sit on prime SF Bay waterfront property, with vistas to remind 6000 inmates how good life is on the outside.

Jeff and I spotted the prison as we were taking a quiet, sunny drive through Tiburon. The facility stands out as your eye pans across wetlands and multi-million dollar waterfront condos.

4 comments:

Buddy Tignor said...

I read somewhere that there are over 2 million Americans incarcerated, slightly over 1/2 for violent crimes.

...just one of those things that bothers me

BullBunky said...

Wow. That is incredible to me. I know that San Quentin's website shows how over capacity they are.

JamesF said...

Buddy: I read somewhere that there are over 2 million Americans incarcerated, slightly over 1/2 for violent crimes.

And I heard that 83% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Buddy Tignor said...

Just so you don't think I am too full of crap :-)

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/prisons.htm

I actually wish I had made this one up.