Saturday, May 20, 2006

Butterflies on our snowballs...



Jeff and I spent our Saturday running errands for our vacation, which starts on Wednesday. Naturally, a portion of the preparations was in the garden. Most everything in the garden is watered by a drip irrigation system that I installed last summer, but when we buy new plants, they tend to sit in pots for a couple of weeks while we decide where to put them. So, today, we ran drip lines to all of the new plants.

During our garden time, Jeff noticed a visiting butterfly. He flitted around the garden, following the intermittent sunbeams. I caught a couple of photos, including one of him sitting on our snowball bush.

The butterfly has the colors of a Monarch, but the patterns don't match any photo that I can find. So, a free latte for anyone who can name this guy correctly. (I'm guessing that either Buddy or my dad will have the edge on this one.)

[FYI, in the spirit of full disclosure, I discovered that our snowball bush is NOT a Japanese Snowball as I announced a few weeks ago. Instead, I believe it is a Common Snowball.]

2 comments:

JamesF said...

Are those even the same butterfly? It looks like there's blue in the first one but I don't see the blue color in the second picture.

For the record, I like the second picture better. The bits of nature in the corners of the picture with the cement in the middle presents a nice contrast I think.

As for the actual butterfly (if they are the same, if not, referring to the second one), it looks like a Red Admiral.

BullBunky said...

Well, James, I think I owe you a latte. That looks like our guy.

And yes, they are the same butterfly. I saw him fly around. Yes, the coloring is quite different on both sides. I never got a closer look with the wings folded together.