Wednesday, February 22, 2006

E-mail from Russia...

OK, I love a good spam email. Particularly the ones from victims of political turmoil pleading with me to help them transfer huge sums of money. Truly, they make me chuckle. But today's spam from the mysterious "Elena" has me puzzled. The social scientist in me always wants to figure out the hook that would lure unsuspecting recipients to reply with their personal information. But "Elena" had no hook. Her email didn't make sense, and I don't know what she WANTS from me. Sigh.

Check this out...the punctuation and grammar are directly copied. Its still fascinating.
"Hi! My name is Elena , My job in Moscow , but now i'm workingin Saint-Petersburg. I'd like to travel between Saint-Petersburg andMoscow all the time, I work for a phone-provider company. I will giveyou more detail later. You can email me on my work email address to:elena27@mysunday.org I will send a photo and tell you more if you reply."
Huh? Oh, "Elena". Why am I drawn to this stuff?

And, no, I have no new pictures this morning to accompany this posting. I'm off to class this afternoon, however, so I'm sure that I will have a fresh assignment to work on. Maybe the assignment will be "odd food products" and I'll be golden with my Bingles!

4 comments:

bobgirrl said...

I could be wrong here but I'm fairly certain she wants your kidney.

Anonymous said...

John,

She's a mail order bride.

I just got one delivered yesterday. I saw the postman trying to stuff her in my mailbox when I arrived home from work. I told him it wasn't mine and had him ship her back.

Now what would be really interesting is if you responded to her email and then chronicled what happens next on your blog. Take us along on the mystery train.

BullBunky said...

All excellent suggestions. And I think I will reply (from another, unused address) and see what happens.

bobgirrl said...

I'm getting visions of Nicole Kidman a la Birthday Girl here.(Luv that movie. And she's soooooooooo much better off without that FREAK.)