Sunday, February 05, 2006

Report from seat 24C...


Remember my mantra: keep it positive. This will be a challenge. On a full Airbus A319, Seat 24C is one of those lucky seats which actually has negative personal space. It is in the last row, on the aisle. So then, what are the positives?

Well, I'm facing my claustrophobia. On one side, a heavyset Russian man sitting in the middle seat next to me, his arm clearly over that narrow armrest. In front of me, a fully reclined seat not seven inches from my nose. Behind me, preventing me from reclining AT ALL? That's right...the lavatory. And to the right...the never ending LINE for the lavatory.

The continuous lavatory line DID give me the chance to meet nearly every passenger, albeit at crotch level. Charming. For fun, I should have kept a list of who went #1 and who went #2.

...think positive...

Well, the constant B.O. from the two men next to me was whimsically covered every 5 minutes or so by a random scent each time the lavatory door was opened.

Another positive is that without any space in front of me, I couldn't be tempted to open my laptop and do email or anything. So, I did get to listen to my iPod the entire way...oh, and an inflight episode of The Office, which was really good.

See? I can keep it positive.

4 comments:

Curt Sawyer said...

Where was your damn Platinum status? What happened? No upgrade? You chastise me for failing to stay in the same hotel chain long enough to hit the upper crust of membership status, but I don't see your Executive Platinum plated Titanium Gold Medallion airline status helping you out any!

;-)

Buddy Tignor said...

I have been in that seat (or one similar) more than once. Fortunately, I don't travel 1/10 as much as you so my visits to purgatory in the sky don't occur so frequently. I have enjoyed your blog so much that I have started one up...when you get a minute check it out (Lollygag).--buddy

bobgirrl said...

Why is it that some folks refuse to understand the unspoken rule that if the seat next to you is occupied, neither one of you gets the armrest??? (Maybe this hasn't reached Russia yet.)

BullBunky said...

You know, I truly believe that my United status is really only helpful at checkin time, and to shorten time through security. I have a dozen upgrade certificates in my account, but never any seats available. Still, I let my status slip a notch one year, and I really missed it.

As for the armrest controversy. Yes. I think the Neutral Zone concept should hold. But this guy (who was very nice...not one of these rude people who deliberately take up more than their share) could not squeeze into his seat any more than he did. Airline seats have not kept up with the average American (or Russian) ass...sorry...butt.