Thursday, March 30, 2006

'Things that like rain' for $100...

[Hmmm, oddly enough, just as I started typing this entry, Bruce Hornsby's Mandolin Rain just started playing on my iPod. Coincidence?]

This weekend, Jeff and I checked off another nagging home project--not a big one, but visible. We have spent a lot of time beautifying our front and back yards with a wide variety of plants. Yet, one space has eluded us...until Saturday.

We have a beautiful tree in front of our house, but the previous owners put a weed-like ground cover around it. So Saturday morning, Jeff and I ventured down to a spectacular nursery in Half Moon Bay and found provence lavender, a variety that should grow to a perfect full height and add a nice scent to the front yard. Here are the before and afters.




Now, while we were digging out the old weeds, we uncovered a very wet, very unhappy salamander. My mother would have immediately named him Sammy Salamander. We transported Sammy to a cozy spot in the back yard. But seeing Sammy reminded me of all the salamanders that my brother and I used to collect in our youth. Fun memories.


By the way, the iPod has moved on to a swinging Sinatra tune.

2 comments:

JamesF said...

It looks nice. I wonder how long until the stains on the surrounding concrete blend in though. From how dark they look, it might be a while. Unless they're just wet? Then I suppose it's just a matter of it drying out.

But I do have a question: isn't the tree on city property? Or do you own the sidewalk? If the sidewalk were to get a crack and someone fell because of it, who would be liable?

BullBunky said...

The rain has washed most of the residual dirt away. And the whole thing will look better once the sun comes out and the lavender sends up flower spikes.

Jeff is more familiar with the tree ownership. I believe that we own the tree, and we don't own the sidewalk. I think the city is liable if someone trips, but I don't know if we're responsible for reporting cracks.