Tuesday, April 25, 2006

iPod iNgenius...

So yes, I've become an iPod fanatic, because frankly it has added a new distraction to some of the duller parts of my life: commuting, flights, airports, expense reports. Well that, and that it has allowed me to dust off parts of my CD collection that I haven't listened to in the Great State of California.

But let's set the record straight: the iPod's shuffle algorithm is NOT random. No way. I don't care what Apple says. I have noticed that the same bands come up over and over...and I'm not sure this is a bad thing.

Being an inquisitive one, I did today's equivalent of "in-depth research"; I did a Google search.

I didn't find anything to substantiate my claim...although there are several pages dedicated to this topic, including lots of denials from Apple. Personally, I think that Apple should tout this "smart shuffle". I think that it makes "random" more like how a DJ would program an iPod.

Let's take my current shuffle session. I have 1153 songs today. About 30 of them are from Yes. I have heard 3 in the past hour. And honestly, every 5 songs since I have owned this iPod HAS TO BE from U2. (Tell me that Apple doesn't favor U2.)

Anyhow, I think that the iPod is 1) clustering songs as it randomly selects artists, 2) favoring newly added items, and 3) repeating recently played items. This is smart programming, and I love it.

But, I can't prove it and I'm rambling and you really came to this blog to see pictures. Tomorrow.

5 comments:

JamesF said...

Damn, your title just made me realize I should have created a blog called iThoughts.

BullBunky said...

Ooooo, very good.

bobgirrl said...

Perhaps the folks that designed the "shuffle" are the same who came up with blogger word verification which continually contains a Q!

Unknown said...

It wouldn't surprise me. I use Winblows Media Player at work and have a 2400-song playlist and that hasn't stopped me from hearing the same 20 songs every day. Argh.

BullBunky said...

Hmmmm, well, I think the theories (or conspiracies) are all possible and valid. But, like I said, I enjoy the well-timed repetition. I think it is pleasing. BUT, I just want an acklowledgement that we're not all crazy :) Hmmmm, but if WMP does the same thing, then maybe its just people finding patterns in chaos. I'll ponder that for a while.